The member States of the Council of Europe, signatories to this Protocol,
Considering that it is advisable to amend certain provisions of the Convention
for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms signed at Rome on 4th
November 1950 (hereinafter referred to as "the Convention") concerning the
procedure of the European Commission of Human Rights,
Have agreed as follows:
- Article 29 of the Convention is deleted.
- The following provision shall be inserted in the Convention:
After it has accepted a petition submitted under Article 25, the Commission may
nevertheless decide unanimously to reject the petition if, in the course of its
examination, it finds that the existence of one of the grounds for non-acceptance provided
for in Article 27 has been established.
In such a case, the decision shall be communicated to the parties."
In Article 30 of the Convention, the word "Sub-Commission" shall be replaced
by the word "Commission".
- At the beginning of Article 34 of the Convention, the following shall be inserted:
"Subject to the provisions of Article 29..."
- At the end of the same article, the sentence "the Sub-Commission shall take its
decisions by a majority of its members" shall be deleted.
- This Protocol shall be open to signature by the member States of the Council of Europe
signatories to the Convention, who may become Parties to it either by:
- signature without reservation in respect of ratification or acceptance, or
- signature with reservation in respect of ratification or acceptance, followed by
ratification or acceptance.
Instruments of ratification or acceptance shall be deposited with the Secretary General
of the Council of Europe.
- This Protocol shall enter into force as soon as all States Parties to the Convention
shall have become Parties to the Protocol, in accordance with the provisions of paragraph
1 of this article.
- The Secretary General of the Council of Europe shall notify the member States of the
- any signature without reservation in respect of ratification or acceptance;
- any signature with reservation in respect of ratification or acceptance;
- the deposit of any instrument of ratification or acceptance;
- the date of entry into force of this Protocol in accordance with paragraph 2 of this
In witness whereof, the undersigned, being duly authorised thereto, have signed this
Done at Strasbourg, this 6th day of May 1963, in English and in French, both texts being
equally authoritative, in a single copy which shall remain deposited in the archives of
the Council of Europe. The Secretary General shall transmit certified copies to each of
the signatory States.